Wednesday, August 18, 2010

coral gardening


I'm currently watching Wild Pacific on the Discovery Channel. One inspiring clip highlights a project in Fiji that has local Fijians (?) transplanting coral. Reminding me of my last post on vegetable gardening, this is gardening on a whole new scale. Helping the reefs grow not only helps to preserve these beautiful specimens, it also increases the wildlife and fish populations, which benefits local fishing communities in the South Pacific islands who still rely on subsistence fishing to survive.

We know how we're damaging our beautiful oceans. Hopefully, it's not irreparable.

Coral nurseries (screenshots from the show).

2 comments:

  1. I love the Discovery Channel. This post reminds me of the recent SYSK podcast on growhouses, except this is more pristine and non-damaging.

    Amazing that you have time to do these posts these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I cheat.

    the colors sure are pretty though.

    ReplyDelete